Many common household products contain hazardous materials and are not safe to dispose of in a landfill:
- Paint, stain, varnish, thinner and adhesives
- Automotive products such as old fuel, anti-freeze, brake fluid, motor oil and oil filters
- Household betters and fluorescent light bulbs and lamps
- Garden products including pesticides and fertilizers
- Propane tanks and fire extinguishers
- Thermostats, thermometers and other items containing mercury
- Expired prescriptions and non-prescription medications (no controlled substances)
- Sharps (syringes, needles, etc.)*
To dispose of these items properly, call 800-606-6606 or visit www.household-hazwaste.org for facility locations and schedules.
* Sharps may be disposed of via Waste Management’s mail-back program: MedWaste Tracker(sm), the Safe Solutions for Sharps and Medical Waste. For more information or to get pre-paid postage “sharps” shipping containers, you can visit us online at: http://www.wm.com/residential/recycle-by-mail.jsp or call us at: 866-931-6321.