Recycling has always been a major priority for Waste Management. Not only does recycling help save valuable landfill space, it also helps protect the health of the environment and surrounding community.
Waste Management and the City of Santa Clarita are continuously working together to increase the recycling efforts in the community. We strongly encourage you to participate in all our recycling programs.
Each household is provided with one grey cart with a green lid for proper disposal of recyclable materials. We ask that you participate each week by placing your glass, aluminum, and plastics in the container provided and place it at the curb on your regularly scheduled service day.
The driver will take as much as he can. If he doesn't take it all, then place a little out each week until it's all gone. Cardboard and newspaper must be cut and bundled no larger than 4'x4' in diameter and placed next to your bins. If you have a large amount of recyclables, call our Customer Service center for more information and assistance with your recycling needs.
Acceptable Recycling Materials
- Aluminum cans, foil and trays
- Tin cans and bi-metal cans
- Rinsed milk cartons - flattened
- Juice boxes and soy milk boxes - flattened
- Carryout bags, butter and margarine tubs, screw on caps and yogurt containers
- Plastic bags
- Mixed plastic materials
- Shampoo, detergent, milk, soda, water, etc.
- All plastic food containers marked #1 through #7.
- Glass bottles and jars - empty and rinsed
- Loose newspaper
- Paper board
- Cereal and cracker boxes
- Six-pack cartons
- Cardboard and corrugated boxes
- Brown grocery bags
- Glossy paper
- Junk mail
- Stationery and envelopes
- Any high grade/uncoated paper
- Binder/notebook paper, any color
Non-Acceptable Recycling Materials
- Scrap metal
- Plastic motor oil bottles
- Window pane glass
- Light bulbs
- Ceramic pottery, cups, and dishes
- Plastic or wax coated paper
- Cereal box liners
- Gummed or glued bindings (telephone books ok)
- Paper towels, napkins, tissue paper, paper plates, soiled paper, adhesive backed or sticky paper
- Carbon paper
- Aluminum foil boxes
- Plastic wrap
How to Prepare Your Recycling
- Rinse and flatten cans, milk cartons and jugs to save space and energy
- Metal jar lids can be placed with your tin cans
- No need to remove labels
- Plastic bags are only recyclable if they have the recycling symbol. They can be included with the rest of your recyclables.
- To bag your plastic bags, place all your grocery store plastic bags, dry cleaning plastic bags, or any other plastic bags in a plastic bag. Residents should then place the full plastic bag filled with plastic bags in the recycling bin.