Your Location
Edit Cancel

Residential FAQ

Q: How do I choose the correct size of containers?
A: The cart sizes you choose should depend on the volume of waste your household generates. To determine the best cart size for your household, please consider the following:

  • Number of residents in your household
  • The type of waste your household generates (Less garbage? More recyclables? More yard waste?)
  • Your household’s commitment to recycling

Q: How can I reduce my bill?
A: The most effective way to reduce your bill is by using your recycling service to its full potential. Remember, the less you throw in the garbage, the smaller the garbage container size you will need, and the less you will pay! However, please ensure the container sizes you select are adequate to meet your needs. Overfilling, exceeding the weight limits, or contaminating your recyclables or yard waste containers with garbage will result in non-collection of your containers.

Q: How can I pay my bill?
A. Waste Management offers several convenient and easy to use payment options. Customers can pay their bills online, in person at a Waste Management Pay Station, or by mail to PO Box 78251, Phoenix, AZ 85062.

Q: Is recycling service free?
A: Customers have their choice of (1) 64g or (1) 96g recyclables cart free of charge. Customers may increase their recyclables capacity for a fee.

Q: Can I receive yard waste service?
A: Customers have their choice of (1) 64g or (1) 96g yard waste cart free of charge. Customers may increase their recyclables capacity for a fee.

Q: Do I have to have garbage service?
A: Yes, Monterey County Code requires every resident and business to subscribe to garbage collection service. However, some residents may qualify for an exemption.

Q: How do I get an exemption from garbage service?
A: According to Section 10.41.030 of the Monterey County Code, a resident may qualify if:

  • The property is either undeveloped or vacant, or
  • All solid waste produced on the property is recycled or composted, or
  • The property has a long, narrow, or steep driveway where garbage/recyclables collection equipment is unable to properly and safely operate.

Residents may call Monterey County Environmental Health Bureau at (831) 755-4579 to request an exemption application for completion and submission.

Q: What materials are accepted for recycling?
A: Accepted items for recycling include: All clean paper, corrugated cardboard, brown bags and paper, paperboard, paper egg cartons, telephone books and magazines, clear and colored glass containers, aluminum foil and beverage containers, scrap steel and aluminum metals (not exceeding 40 pounds in weight nor 2 feet in any dimension for any single item); steel including, ”tin” cans, aerosol cans (empty, non-toxic products), bimetal containers, all plastics (#1-7). Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is not accepted. Click here for a list of items accepted for recycling, tips and instructions on how to recycle.

Q: Can I recycle batteries?
A: Yes, please place household AAA, AA, B, C, D and small button batteries in a clear, sealed bag taped to the top of your blue recyclables cart for collection. Car batteries are not accepted.

Q: Can we place food scraps in the blue recyclables or green yard waste carts?
A: No, your blue cart is only for recyclables and your green cart is only for yard waste. Please click here for a full list of accepted items . Discover the ease of composting and enrich your garden. Waste Management offers at-cost compost bins and provides composting instructions, hands-on demonstrations and troubleshooting tips. Call 1-800-321-8226 for more information.

Q: What should I do if my container was not picked up?
A: Please ensure your containers are set out for collection by 6:00am on your collection day. If your containers are not collected, please call (800) 321-8226. If your missed collection is reported by 3:00pm, Waste Management will return to collect your containers by the end of the day. Please note that, if your missed collection is reported after 3:00pm, Waste Management will return to collect your containers by the end of the following day.

Improper use of containers, including overfilling, exceeding container weight limits, or contaminating recyclables or yard waste containers with garbage may result in non-collection of containers. In such instances, Waste Management staff will place a notice on the containers explaining the reason for non-collection and providing instructions on proper disposal procedures.

Q: I like to personally change the oil in my vehicles. What do I do with my used oil and filters?
A: Waste Management has implemented a convenient and environmentally safe program for the disposal of used oil and oil filters through its curbside collection program. You can dispose of up to four (4) gallons of used motor oil along with two (2) oil filters per week. Place the used oil in a screw-top container and set it out at the curb next to your blue recyclables cart. Place used oil filters in a heavyweight, sealed bag and place it on top of the blue recyclables cart. Waste Management will provide you with oil containers and oil filter bags at your request on your next service day. Upon collection, Waste Management will leave a replacement container and filter bag for your next use. For free oil containers and oil filter bags, please call (800) 321-8226.

Q: How do I dispose of bulky items? A: Each residential customer receives one (1) free on-call collection service per calendar year. Please call (800) 321-8226 to schedule your on-call service on your next regularly scheduled collection day. Then place the following accepted materials within three (3) feet of the curb, beside your regularly serviced carts:

Bulky Items (e.g., mattresses)—up to five (5) cubic yards

Universal Waste (except fluorescent tubes), electronics waste, and CED’s—up to one-half (0.5) cubic yards total. Please place in bags, boxes or containers. Click here for a list of Universal Waste.

Tires—up to two (2) car tires

Q: Where can I learn more about new services?
A: You can learn more by calling (866) 684-3138.