There are several options for properly disposing of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). HHW includes: used oil filters, motor oil and used motor oil, paint, antifreeze, batteries, pesticides, household cleaners, pool chemicals and sharps/needles. To safely dispose of HHW:
- The City of Carlsbad has an agreement with PSC to provide door-to-door household hazardous waste, electronic waste and universal waste collection. Call 1(800) 714-1195 to make an appointment; the charge is $10 to the resident for each pick-up.
- It can be brought to Waste Management's HHW Center in Oceanside for safe disposal (proof of residency and an appointment is required). Residents may bring 15 gallons or 125 pounds of material for drop off at one time. To find out the schedule and make an appointment, contact customer service at 1(800) DUMPSTER.
- For information about disposal of commercial or industrial-generated hazardous waste, contact I Love a Clean San Diego at 1(800) 237-2583.
Waste Management of North County/Coast Waste Management operates one household hazardous waste (HHW) drop-off location, located in Oceanside. This page also includes information about other local HHW centers. Go to the Web page for our buyback centers for more information about recycling.
Oceanside Recycling Center - Map It
2880 Industry St.
Oceanside, CA 92054
(Located one block south of Oceanside Blvd.)
Hours of Operation
Scheduled Saturdays by appointments only -- please contact customer service at 1(800) DUMPSTER or (760) 929-9400 to schedule an appointment.
Yes, for the drop-off of household hazardous waste or universal waste on Saturdays -- however, used motor oil, oil filters and antifreeze can be dropped off on weekdays without an appointment. E-waste and household batteries can also be dropped off at any time without an appointment at Waste Management's Recycling Centers. For HHW drop-off, please contact customer service at 1(800) DUMPSTER or (760) 929-9400 to schedule an appointment, which are booked for Saturdays, twice per month, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Who can drop off HHW?
Residents of Carlsbad, Oceanside and Camp Pendleton. Proof of residency is required.
How many items can be dropped off with each appointment?
Up to 15 gallons or 125 pounds per visit.
- fluorescent light tubes
- motor oil and used motor oil
- chemicals (pool and others)
- household cleaners
- household sharps like syringes or lancets, properly packaged for safe disposal
- medical waste
Disposal of Used Motor Oil
It is important to properly dispose of used motor oil to ensure it stays out of our storm drains and the ocean. Next time you change your oil, be sure to follow these steps:
- Remove the oil filter from your car and drain it well for at least 24 hours - once it is drained, place it in a plastic bag.
- Drain the oil from your car into a plastic container.
- Secure the top on the container to ensure against spillage.
- Once the items are secure, transport them to a certified used oil recycling center.
There are a number of options for proper and safe disposal of used motor oil and filters:
- Many auto or tire supply stores or service centers will accept used motor oil and filters. Earth 911 offers a list searchable by zip code to locate a recycler near you. Call in advance to make sure they will take the items and to verify store hours.
- The City of Carlsbad has an agreement with PSC to provide door-to-door household hazardous waste, electronic waste and universal waste collection. Arrange to have your used oil picked up along with other household hazardous waste when you schedule an appointment. Call 1(800) 714-1195 to make an appointment; the charge is $10 to the resident ($80 is covered by the city) for each pick-up.
- Take the used oil along with other household hazardous waste to your local HHW center. Check to see if the site requires an appointment or proof of residency to drop off your material.
- Carlsbad residents can bring oil along with other HHW to Waste Management's HHW Center in Oceanside for safe disposal (proof of residency and an appointment is required). To find out the schedule and make an appointment, contact customer service at 1(800) DUMPSTER.
Additional information may be found at the Earth 911 Web site or by calling 1(800) CLEANUP (1-800-253-2687).