Recycling one ton of newspaper:
Saves 601 kWh of energy
Saves 1.7 barrels (71 gallons) of oil
Saves 10.2 million Btu's of energy
Saves 4.6 cubic yards of landfill space
Saves 7,000 gallons of water
Saves 15 trees
Newspaper Recycling Tips
- Cardboard boxes, paper bags and other non-newsprint paper are considered contaminants and are not compatible with newspaper recycling.
- It takes time to sort non-newsprint materials out at recovery facilities, so save them time and labor by not mixing non-newsprint items with your newsprint.
Did You Know?
- Recycled newspaper saves 34 to 60% of the total energy needed for virgin newsprint.
- 10 million tons of newsprint is thrown away each year in the United States.
- Approximately 65,000 to 75,000 trees are needed to produce paper for the Sunday edition of the New York Times.