Recycling one ton of steel:
Saves 642 kWh of energy
Saves 1.8 barrels (76 gallons) of oil
Saves 10.9 million Btu's of energy
Saves 4 cubic yards of landfill space
Steel Recycling Tips
- Prepare steel cans for recycling by rinsing them with water to remove any food residue.
- To save space, remove both ends of the steel can and crush flat.
- Labels on the steel cans do not have to be removed since they are burned off during the melting process.
Did You Know?
- Steel cans, which are used for holding coffee, vegetables and other food products are often referred to as tin cans, but there is only 0.15% tin in a steel can.
- The United States throws away enough iron and steel to continuously supply all the nation's automakers.
- The average passenger tire contains approximately 10% steel wire by weight.