The San Juan County Regional Landfill provides disposal and recycling services to support the growing San Juan County community. The facility is operated by Waste Management and meets or exceeds all New Mexico Environmental Department, Solid Waste Division, and environmental standards. The Landfill and accompanying recycling facility are located at 78 County Road 3140 in Aztec, New Mexico.
As San Juan County's disposal provider for over 20 years, Waste Management is dedicated to serving its neighbors - the residents of San Juan County - both on the job and in the community. Service, support, and commitment to the community are one of Waste Management of San Juan County's top priorities.
Since its inception, the San Juan County Regional Landfill Center has had an excellent record in meeting and exceeding city, state and federal guidelines. Our commitment to the community's environmental and social health means that we are continuously working to operate our facility in the safest way possible.
It isn't enough to simply manage the environment on-site. The San Juan County Regional Landfill is a part of the greater community, and as such, it is important to us to make sure that we are doing what we can to protect our neighbors and the greater community, even in cases when our technical responsibility ends at the landfill gates.
The San Juan County Landfill is considered a model landfill and utilized by the New Mexico Environment Department as a training facility for Solid Waste Operator Training and Certification programs.
San Juan County Regional Landfill and Recycling Facility
78 CR 3140
Aztec, NM 87410
(505) 334-8768 fax
Oct 1 – Feb 28:
- Monday - Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm
- Weekends - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Mar 1 – Sep 30:
- Monday - Friday 7:00am to 5:30pm
- Weekends - 9:00am to 5:00pm
San Juan County Regional Landfill is subtitle D non-hazardous landfill. This means that only we accept the following materials.
- Municipal Solid Waste - Household and commercial refuse.
- Appliances - Major appliances such as washers and dryers, water heaters, refrigerators are accepted for recycling. We only accept appliances with the Freon removed.
- Tires - Automobile and truck tires will be accepted at an additional charge.
- Clean Dirt - Granular soil such as clay, sand, or silt that breaks apart when handled by light duty construction equipment such as a small backhoe or skip loader. No trash, metal, or wood. Please note that the landfill requires testing of soils prior to disposal. Material not tested will not be accepted.
- Asphalt/Concrete - Any combination of rock, concrete, gravel, brick, asphalt, or asphalt grindings which is less than 24 inches in any 2 dimensions. Loads containing debris exceeding this size limitation will have additional charges. Loads with debris greater than 6 feet in any dimension may be assessed and additional handling fee (hard-to-handle fee).
- Mixed Inerts - Any combination of Clean Dirt (as described above) and Clean Asphalt/Concrete (as described above). No trash, metal, or wood. Less than 10% root and/or grass contamination. Loads with these contaminants will be charged as trash.
- Hazardous Materials - Includes but not limited to: batteries, automotive fluids (fuel, antifreeze, oils), paint, lacquer, stain, thinner, varnish, wood preservatives, and chemicals of any kind (i.e. pool chemicals, pesticides and weed killer)
- Fluorescent Light Tubes and Ballasts - Please call the landfill at 334-1121 to locate a disposal option.
- Liquids - Water-Soluble Solids -- Please call the landfill at 334-1121 to locate a disposal option for salt, borax, lye, caustics/acids
- Biological/Medical Waste - Non-treated
- Empty Containers - Containers that may have contained or have contained hazardous materials
- Septic Tank or Chemical Toilet Waste
- Automobile Bodies
- Radioactive Materials
For information on disposal of these prohibited wastes, please contact the landfill at 334-1121 to locate a disposal option.