Spokane Materials and Recycling Technology Center (SMaRT)
Waste Management of Spokane, opened their new $18 million single-stream recycling facility on an 8-acre site right outside the City of Spokane in October 2012. The facility, called the Spokane Materials & Recycling Technology Center (SMaRT), will process 100,000 tons of recyclables a year. This new facility is the centerpiece of a regional strategy aimed at dramatically reducing waste and boosting recycling in the region. The 62,000-square-foot, “single-stream” facility will allow residents and businesses to recycle a broader assortment of materials, which will result in a more than 40 percent recycling rate in the Spokane area, exceeding the national average. An economic impact study conducted by the University of Colorado’s Leeds School of Business estimated the facility would inject more than $46 million into the local economy over the next five years.
Waste Management is passionate about finding environmental solutions that save money, make good sense for communities and make the world a greener place.
SMaRT Quick Facts and Information
- SMaRT system will process 11 pounds of recyclables per second.
- The new facility, the first of its kind in Washington State east of the Cascades features high-tech equipment, including an optical sorter and a glass crusher with a “hurricane” vacuum system.
- The new system enables residents to use one larger roller cart—similar to clean green carts—for all recyclables, including many materials that currently aren’t accepted for recycling.
- Materials that are collected include: paper products, many types of plastic containers, and a host of other items ranging from clam shells, to jars, tin and aluminum cans, foil, pie tins, and small scrap metal, including old pots and pans.
- The recycling center will have the capability of processing 26 tons of mixed recyclables per hour.
- The SMaRT center is one of more than 100 single-stream facilities WM operates and can process about 250 tons of recyclables per 10-hour shift
- The SMaRT Center, curbside recycling conversion, and CNG fleet launch are all part of WM Spokane’s big and bold commitment to Spokane customers and to building sustainable communities across Eastern Washington.
The facility is not open to public drive-in customers but is open to commercial customers. It is located at:
2902 S GEIGER BLVD
Spokane, WA 99224-5400
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tours of the recycling center are available to customers and community groups on a limited basis.