Containers Out by 6:00 am
Collection times may vary as routing schedules change, and so it is very important to have all containers at the street by 6:00 am. We appreciate your cooperation. Please remove all containers from the street as soon as possible after collection.
Recycling is picked up ever other week. We recommend that you wait until the cart is full to bring it to the curb.
Mixed Recycling Cart / Bins
Place the following items together in your mixed recycling container
Clean paper and cardboard, including
- Magazines & Catalogs
- Telephone Books
- Paper Bags
- Cereal, cracker & shoe boxes
- Paper egg cartons
- Notebook paper, computer paper, file folders, stationery
- Wrapping paper (No foil, plastic coating or tape)
Clean drink cartons
- Milk and juice cartons
- Soup and broth cartons
Clean Plastic Bottles and Tubs
- Yogurt-type containers (6 oz. or larger)
- Rigid plant pots (4 in. or larger)
- Buckets (5 gal. or smaller)
- Plastic bottles (6oz. or larger)
- Plastic jugs
- Metal cans. Place the lid inside the can and crimp shut to hold the lid inside.
- Aluminum foil and trays
- Empty aerosol cans
Small Scrap Metal Pieces (No larger than 30 inches. Weight limit 30 pounds.)
Recycling on the Side
Glass: Mix all colors. Labels OK. Do not include light bulbs, window glass, vases or drinking glasses.
Motor Oil: Put your used motor oil in a one-gallon or smaller plastic see-through container with a screw cap lid. Empty milk jugs make good oil containers.
Monday - Saturday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
1601 Railroad Avenue
St. Helens, OR 97051
For more information about accepted materials, rates, hazardous waste collection events and other recycling information, visit the Columbia County website.
Beyond Curbside Recycling
Waste Management offers convenient mail-in collection programs for batteries, electronics, sharps, toner cartridges and compact fluorescent light bulbs. Call 800-808-5901 or click here for more information.
Waste Management provides weekly or on-call garbage service.
Container Placement at the Street
Place carts at the curb so that they do not block sidewalks, driveways, public streets, or other rights of way. Carts should be at least three feet away from basketball hoops, trees, cars and other containers.
When possible, trucks with robotic arms will lift, empty and replace the carts without the drivers leaving the trucks, reducing safety hazards and traffic congestion.
Securely bag loose and dusty materials such as ashes, kitty litter, sawdust, animal waste, and packing "peanuts" before placing in the garbage can.
Weight Limits (Overweight containers will not be emptied)
- Cans, bins and bundles up to 32-gallon size are lifted and emptied by hand. For your safety and the safety of your collectors, please limit each 32-gallon unit to no more than 60 pounds.
|20 Gallon Cart||Weight Limit 35 lbs.|
|35 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 60 lbs.|
|65 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 100 lbs.|
|90 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 120 lbs.|
There is an an additional charge for each extra bag or container (32-gallon, 60 lb. limit) that does not fit in your garbage container with the lid closed. If you often have extra garbage, you may want to increase your garbage container size to avoid overflow and extra garbage charges.
Bulky Items: Bulky items like mattresses, appliances, console televisions, furniture and building materials can be picked up by special arrangement.
Temporary Garbage Services: Large containers are available for temporary projects such as remodeling and construction.
Reduce Your Garbage Costs! Garbage rates vary according to cart size. Recycling and yard debris collection can help reduce your garbage enough that you may be able to order a smaller size and lower your garbage bills.
For further information to establish, change or discontinue service please contact customer service.
Yard Debris Collection
Your optional yard waste service is collected every other week on the same day as your trash collection using a WM provided 64-gallon roll cart. This service is available for $7.25 per month.
For the safety of our drivers, please have all limbs cut or trimmed so that they do not stick out above the rim of the container.
On Pickup Day
- Place materials at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on your pickup day.
- Place materials within three feet of the curb.
- Do not use plastic bags, orange recycling bins, plastic liners or regular garbage cans for yard waste
- When using Kraft paper yard waste bags, try to avoid putting wet debris at the bottom of bag. Keep bags in dry location until pickup day to prevent bottom from falling out.
Tie bundles with string or twine.
Curbside yard debris includes
Not to Exceed 120 lbs.
- Grass clippings
- Items from your garden
* No greater than 4" in diameter and 36" long
Curbside yard debris does not include
- Food waste
- Household garbage