Containers Out by 6:00 am
Collection times may vary as routing schedules change, and so it is very important to have all containers at the street by 6:00 am. We appreciate your cooperation. Please remove all containers from the street as soon as possible after collection.
Garbage and recycling are picked up weekly. We recommend that you wait until the cart is full to bring it to the curb.
Mixed Recycling Cart
Place the following items together in your mixed recycling container
Clean paper and cardboard, including
- Magazines & Catalogs
- Telephone Books
- Paper Bags
- Cereal, cracker & shoe boxes
- Paper egg cartons
- Notebook paper, computer paper, file folders, stationery
- Wrapping paper (No foil, plastic coating or tape)
Clean drink cartons
- Milk and juice cartons
- Soup and broth cartons
Clean Plastic Bottles and Tubs
- Yogurt-type containers (6 oz. or larger)
- Rigid plant pots (4 in. or larger)
- Buckets (5 gal. or smaller)
- Plastic bottles (6oz. or larger)
- Plastic jugs
- Metal cans. Place the lid inside the can and crimp shut to hold the lid inside.
- Aluminum foil and trays
- Empty aerosol cans
Small Scrap Metal Pieces (No larger than 30 inches. Weight limit 30 pounds.)
Recycling on the side
Glass: Mix all colors. Labels OK. Do not include light bulbs, window glass, vases or drinking glasses.
Motor Oil: Put your used motor oil in a one-gallon or smaller see-through container and cap it tightly. Empty milk jugs make good oil containers.
Beyond Curbside Recycling
For recycling options for materials not collected curbside, click here.
Drug Take Back
Unused and unwanted medications can be taken to the Troutdale Police Station (234 SW Kendall Court) for safe disposal during business hours (M-F, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm). Sharps, thermometers, medical waste and equipment are not accepted at this facility.
Waste Management provides weekly or on-call garbage service.
Container Placement at the Street
Place carts at the curb so that they do not block sidewalks, driveways, public streets, or other rights of way. Carts should be at least three feet away from basketball hoops, trees, cars and other containers.
When possible, trucks with robotic arms will lift, empty and replace the carts without the drivers leaving the trucks, reducing safety hazards and traffic congestion.
Securely bag loose and dusty materials such as ashes, kitty litter, sawdust, animal waste, and packing "peanuts" before placing in the garbage can.
Weight Limits (Overweight containers will not be emptied)
- Cans, bins and bundles up to 32-gallon size are lifted and emptied by hand. For your safety and the safety of your collectors, please limit each 32-gallon unit to no more than 60 pounds.
|20 Gallon Cart||Weight Limit 35 lbs.|
|35 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 60 lbs.|
|60 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 120 lbs.|
|90 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 145 lbs.|
There is an an additional charge for each extra bag or container (32-gallon, 60 lb. limit) that does not fit in your garbage container with the lid closed. If you often have extra garbage, you may want to increase your garbage container size to avoid overflow and extra garbage charges.
Bulky Items: Bulky items like mattresses, appliances, console televisions, furniture and building materials can be picked up by special arrangement.
Temporary Garbage Services: Large containers are available for temporary projects such as remodeling and construction.
Reduce Your Garbage Costs! Garbage rates vary according to cart size. Recycling and yard debris collection can help reduce your garbage enough that you may be able to order a smaller size and lower your garbage bills.
Yard Debris Collection
Your yard debris is collected weekly in a 60 gallon roll cart. Yard debris is collected every week on the same day as garbage.
You can set out your 60-gallon yard debris roll cart, one Kraft paper yard debris bag (no plastic bags, please), or one bundle (prunings limited to 4" diameter and 36" length) of yard trimmings every week for no extra charge. Any additional cans or bags or bundles are $4.25 each.
For the safety of our drivers, please have all limbs cut or trimmed so that they do not stick out above the rim of the container.
Don’t have garbage service? A one-year subscription for 60 gallon roll cart service for yard debris only is available.
|Yard Debris Bag||Weight Limit 45 lbs.|
|32 Gallon Can||Weight Limit 60 lbs.|
|Yard Waste Bundle||Weight Limit 45 lbs.|
|60 Gallon Roll Cart||Weight Limit 120 lbs.|
On Pickup Day
- Place materials at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on your pickup day.
- Do not use plastic bags, recycling carts or bins, plastic liners, or regular garbage cans for yard waste.
- Place your yard waste loosely in the cart so that it falls freely when emptied.
- When using Kraft paper yard waste bags for extra yard debris, try to avoid putting wet debris at the bottom of bag. Keep bags in dry location until pickup day to prevent bottom from falling out.
- Tie bundles with string or twine. Bundles must be no larger than one foot by three feet.
- If you provide your own 32-gallon can for yard waste, place your yard waste sticker on the side of the can. Make sure the sticker faces the street when you place your can out for collection.
- If you need us to mail you a yard debris sticker, please contact our office at (503) 249-8078 or email Customer Service.
Curbside yard debris includes:
- Grass clippings
- Items from your garden
* No greater than 4" in diameter and 36" long
Curbside yard debris does not include:
- Food waste
- Household garbage
Yard Waste Exemption Program
Residential customers may request exemption from curbside yard debris collection if they:
- Compost or use yard debris for on-site land application or
- Retain a business that
- Hauls their yard debris to a state approved processor AND
- is licensed to conduct business within the City
Customers who comply with all terms of the yard debris collection exemption agreement may apply for an exemption from yard debris collection. If the exemption is approved, they will have the monthly cost of yard debris collection deducted from their bills.
Contact Waste Management at (503) 249-8078 for an application form for yard debris exemption.