Why Waste Matters
The materials that we consume and dispose of everyday are all made of finite natural resources. Reducing our consumption, reusing products and recycling waste materials helps to conserve the natural resources associated with producing these products.
- OneEarth.org - October 2013: China’s Too Good for Our Trash. Yay?
- Plastic News - August 2013: Plastic film recycling getting axed in Washington county
- The Reflector - July 2013: Recycle: Changes in China will affect area residents
- Waste & Recycling News - June 2013: Green Fence putting premium on paper quality
- Christian Science Monitor - June 2013: China puts up a green wall to US trash
- Waste & Recycling News - May 2013: China Getting Tough on Contamination
- Washington Post - May 2013: China doesn’t want to buy our garbage anymore
- Letsrecycle.com - May 2013: China’s Green Fence leads to PRN price spike
- Plastics News - May 2013: China's 'Green Fence' makes unprecedented cuts in recycled plastic imports
- Resource Recycling - April 2013: Operation Green Fence is deeply affecting export markets
To learn more about the world of garbage, recycling and materials management, check out these great resources.
- Washington Department of Ecology: Detailed information about solid waste management and programs in Washington State.
- Washington State Recycling Association: Leadership and education materials that support sustainable resource management.
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality: Information about solid waste, waste prevention, recycling, composting and disposal in Oregon.
- Association of Oregon Recyclers: Resources for encouraging waste prevention and recycling in Oregon.
- Waste Management: Service offerings and innovative programs to manage and reduce waste.
- Thinking Green: Waste Management’s blog dedicated to talking about how WM and our customers are reaching for and attaining sustainable solutions to further environmental goals.
- Think Green: Educational activities, case studies and classroom tools.
- EPA Waste Wise: A free, voluntary EPA program through which organizations eliminate costly municipal solid waste and select industrial wastes, benefiting their bottom line and the environment.
- EPA Municipal Solid Waste Facts and Figures: The most recent available data on annual US waste generation, recycling, disposal and the benefits of recycling.
- Earth 911: Largest and most accurate recycling directory in the U.S to help consumers find local recycling information.
- Solid Waste Association of North America: Resources for solid waste professionals throughout North America with conferences, certifications, publications, and technical training courses.
- National Recycling Coalition: Tools and resources for community members about the important benefits that recycling provides to our economy and environment.
- Keep America Beautiful: Educational resources aimed at awareness of waste issues and promotion of sustainable alternatives.
Solid Waste Publications
If you have specific questions about waste in your area, contact our customer service