Investor Relations FAQs

Share this page:

1. When was Waste Management incorporated?

Waste Management was incorporated on September 30, 1987.

2. How could WM have been incorporated in 1987 when I have owned its stock since the early 80's?

The company known today as Waste Management, Inc. was originally incorporated September 30, 1987 in Oklahoma under the name USA Waste Services, Inc. On April 28, 1995, USA Waste reincorporated in Delaware. Then, in 1998, USA Waste acquired the company formerly known as Waste Management, Inc. USA Waste changed its name to "Waste Management, Inc."

The company that USA Waste acquired, that had been known as "Waste Management, Inc.", was based in Oakbrook, Illinois, and was incorporated in Delaware in 1968. Therefore, you may have owned shares of that company's common stock. However, all of those shares have been exchanged for shares of our common stock. If you have not exchanged your shares, you may contact our transfer agent, BNY Mellon Shareowner Services, at 800-969-1190 to do so.

3. I previously owned 100 shares of Waste Management stock, but know I only have 72 shares. What happened?

In the merger between USA Waste and the former Waste Management (trading on the NYSE under the symbol "WMX"), .725 of a share of new Waste Management (WM) was issued for each share held in WMX.

4. Do I need to exchange my shares for shares in the current company?

If you hold a stock certificate for shares of WMX, then yes, you do need to exchange the certificate. Stock certificates for USA Waste (UW) do not need to be exchanged, and each UW share equals one WM share.

5. I currently hold a certificate for shares of Chemical Waste Management. What is the exchange rate and how do I exchange them?

The exchange rate for Chemical Waste is:

If you have 81.1 shares of Chemical Waste you get $1,000.00 WMX Technologies, Inc. Convertible Subordinated Note Due 2005.
If you had less than 81.1 shares you would get $9.725 per share in cash.
If you have not exchanged your shares, you may contact our transfer agent, BNY Mellon Shareowners Services, at 800-969-1190.

6. Does Waste Management pay a quarterly or annual dividend?

The timing and rate of any dividend is determined by Waste Management, Inc.'s Board of Directors as they shall deem advisable and proper, subject to such restrictions as may be imposed by law, and is evaluated on an ongoing basis for adjustment. Please see our Dividend History page for a detailed listing of dividend amounts and dates paid per common share.

7. Does Waste Management have a direct stock purchase plan and/or a dividend reinvestment plan?

Mellon Investor Services, the transfer agent and registrar for WM stock, administers a direct stock purchase plan for the company. To find out more about this program, contact Mellon directly at 800-969-1190 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

8. How can I get on your e-mail distribution list for press releases?

To receive electronic distribution of our press releases, simply complete the form on our subscription request page on

9. Why don't I get financial reports from the company?

If you registered your shares in your name with the company at the time of purchase, you should receive notification of issuance of our annual reports. Contact BNY Mellon Shareowner Services LLC, Waste Management's transfer agent at800-969-1190 to verify your address on file. If you purchased shares in "street name" and your broker holds them, then Waste Management provides shareholder materials to that broker. Please contact your broker directly to discuss any delivery problems.

10. I am receiving multiple copies of the Annual Report and Proxy Statement. I only wish to receive one copy.

We have adopted a procedure approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission called “householding.” Under this procedure, shareholders of record who have the same address and last name and do not participate in electronic delivery of proxy materials will receive only one copy of the Annual Report and Proxy Statement. This procedure will reduce Waste Management’s printing costs and postage fees.

Stockholders of record meeting this criteria and residing at the same address and currently receiving multiple copies of the Proxy Statement and Annual Report may request to receive only one copy of the Proxy Statement and Annual Report in the future by contacting ADP, Attention Householding Department, 51 Mercedes Way, Edgewood, NY 11717, telephone 800-542-1061.

11. What is the tax basis of my shares?

To determine the tax basis of your shares when you sell them, use your adjusted cost: the share price plus commission paid to purchase the shares. You'll find that information on the statement you received from your broker at the time you purchased the shares. If you don't have that statement, contact your broker to get a replacement copy. To reconstruct records on your own, you will need to know the date of the original purchase, purchase price, broker commission, dividend reinvestment history and stock split history. A local library's microfilm archive is the best resource to find the value of shares on a particular date. Consult the S&P stock guide, the Value Line Investment Survey, the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times financial section for a history of stock prices, stock splits and dividends. If a stock paid dividends and the dividends were reinvested, all reinvested dividends need to be included in the cost basis along with the number of shares purchased.