Curbside collection services are not interrupted at this time. However, your local WM office and drop off facilities may be closed. For detailed information please visit SERVICE ALERTS
Recycling Contamination Education Program
Customers who use their recycling cart as another trash receptacle hold our community back from reaching diversion goals by contaminating recyclables. Waste Management is stepping up education and monitoring efforts to help reach diversion goals. But customers who don’t clean up their act, could lose the right to participate in the program.
Here’s how it works….
When contamination is spotted in a cart, it is not serviced. The driver documents the contamination with a photo, which is attached to the account. The driver also tags the cart to immediately let the customer know why the cart was not serviced.
A follow-up letter is sent to the customer which includes a photo of the contamination for reference and a list of options available for disposing of non-recyclables. Education materials about what belongs in the recycling cart is also provided. If it’s not on the list, it can’t be recycled curbside. Click here for more information.
- The first two contamination incidents will result in notification letters.
- The third and fourth contamination incidents will result in a notification letter and a fine.
- On the fifth occurrence, the customer receives a letter informing them they have lost their option to participate in the program and the recycling cart is removed.
Click the image below to download a recycling guide.
Washoe County Residents, confirm your trash and/or recycling collection day and signup for service alerts by text and email. Register at www.WM.com
Waste Management is pleased to provide garbage and recycling collection to the residents of Washoe County. Under the collection contract, effective February 1, 2017, there are many available services. Among them:
- Single-Stream Recycling Cart
- 25 Excess Waste Stickers
- Four trips to the transfer stations in Reno or the Lockwood Landfill at no additional cost*
- Fall and spring excess waste curbside pickup
Learn more about these and other developments in Residential Services.
Think Green is not just a motto at Waste Management -- it’s our way of doing business.