As your community partner, Waste Management is committed to helping keep the Washoe County clean . Recycling is an easy way to protect our environment and ensure the wellbeing of our community for generations to come. However, the success of recycling depends on the active participation of the community. By participating, people will be reducing the amount of garbage, encouraging the reuse of materials made from recycled products and continuing the recycling circle.
Single-stream recycling allows customers the ease and convenience of placing all acceptable recyclable materials into a single cart (customers also have a cart for their garbage). This enhanced recycling program decreases the amount of waste generated and increases the diversion/recycling rate. Each residential customer is provided a cart for recyclable materials (a green cart with a blue lid) in addition to their garbage cart (green cart with a green lid) for garbage.
- Recycle all bottles, cans and paper.
- Keep items clean and dry.
- Do not put plastic bags in the recycling cart.
- Do not place non-recyclables in the recycling cart. Printed label on cart lid identifies acceptable material
Certain offenders can slow down the recycling process or even ruin the load of recyclables and cause additional costs to the program.
You Have the Power!
Ever wonder, “Why and how to recycle?” When you use “Recycle Often. Recycle Right.SM” great things happen. Every day we encounter hundreds of recyclable items. By recycling properly, you help materials get to their next best use, which in turn saves tons upon tons of raw materials, time, energy and expense.
It’s Time to Rethink Recycling
Did you know:
69 percent of plastic bottles don’t get recycled?*
45 percent of aluminum cans end up in the trash?*
Liquids often spoil a whole load of otherwise recyclable paper?
That’s why it’s time to get back to the basics of good recycling. Recycle Often. Recycle Right.SM recycling rules will help you rethink recycling to make a sustainable impact!
Give These Items a Future!
Check out these other items that can thank recycling for a chance at an exciting second career.
- That bottle in your cup holder today could become a park bench or even filling for a parka one day.
- Recycle that newspaper today, and it could return to your home in the form of a cereal box.
- Recycle that aluminum can today, and it could be back on the shelf as a new one in just 60 days!
Did you Know…
- Recycling just one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for two hours?
- Recycling just one aluminum can saves enough energy to power a 14-watt CFL bulb for 20 hours?
- Recycling just one aluminum can saves enough energy to power a computer for three hours?
When you think of the difference just one person can make, imagine the positive image the Washoe County can have by recycling.
*Source: US Environmental Protection Agency