By recycling, you are helping to save energy, reduce water pollution, reduce water consumption, preserve natural resources and create jobs.
- Recycling an aluminum can saves 95% of the energy needed to produce new aluminum can from raw materials. The energy saved from recycling one ton of aluminum is equal to the amount of electricity the average home uses over 10 years (Keep America Beautiful)
- Recycling one glass container saves enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for 4 hours (EPA)
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 17 mature trees, 7,000 gallons of water, 3 cubic yards of landfill space, 2 barrels of oil, and 4,100 kilowatt-hours of electricity - enough energy to power the average American home for five months. (EPA)
- Recycling one ton of plastic milk jugs saves enough energy to light a home for a year (EPA)
- Incinerating 10,000 tons of waste creates one job; landfilling 10,000 tons of waste creates six jobs; recycling 10,000 tons of waste creates 36 jobs. (EPA, "Resource Conservation Challenge: Campaigning Against Waste," EPA 530-F-02-033, 2002)
Click here to learn more about recycling benefits.