Recycling one ton of newspaper:
Saves 601 kWh of energy
Saves 1.7 barrels (71 gallons) of oil
Saves 10.2 million Btu's of energy
Saves 4.6 cubic yards of landfill space
Saves 7,000 gallons of water
Saves 15 trees
Newspaper Recycling Tips
- You can recycle your entire newspaper in your recycling cart, including any advertisements, magazines or supplements. The same goes for junk mail - be sure to include it with your other paper goods for recycling.
- If your newspaper comes wrapped in plastic, be sure to place the plastic in your trash cart, not with your newspaper in the recycling cart.
Did You Know?
- Recycled newspaper saves 34 to 60% of the total energy needed for virgin newsprint.
- 10 million tons of newsprint is thrown away each year in the United States.
- Approximately 65,000 to 75,000 trees are needed to produce paper for the Sunday edition of the New York Times.