Your Location
Edit Cancel

Household Hazardous Waste

There are numerous products that we use every day around our homes, such as batteries, household cleaners, paints, pesticides, and fluorescent tubes that need to be properly disposed. These items were formerly referred to as "household hazardous waste" (HHW) but are now referred to as home generated special materials. These materials should not be discarded in a sink, storm drain or in your household trash. Hypodermic needles, syringes, lancets or other "sharps" that might be used at home for certain medical conditions can be harmful, too, if thrown in the trash - find out how to safely dispose of these here.

We can't simply throw these materials in the trash because if these items were buried in a landfill, they could potentially contaminate our groundwater. The same goes for dumping them in the storm drains or sewers - storm drains go directly to the ocean, leading to contamination of our coastal waters.

There are several options available for safely disposing of the following materials:

  • Automotive products (antifreeze, fluids, motor oil*)
  • Batteries (home and vehicle)
  • Electronics- TV, computers, fax machines
  • Fluorescent light tubes and CFL
  • Fuels
  • Herbicides
  • Hobby supplies (glue, paint)
  • Household cleaners
  • Medicines
  • Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
  • Paint products
  • Paints (latex and oil-based)
  • Pesticides
  • Polishes and waxes
  • Swimming Pool chemicals
  • Wood preservatives and stains

Further precautions must be taken to handle materials such as ammunition, explosives, biological or medical waste, asbestos, radioactive waste, business-generated waste and compressed gas cylinders - should you require the disposal of these types of materials, please consult your municipality, public agency or sheriff’s office. 

Disposal Options

Home collection service by the At Your Door Special CollectionSM
In certain communities serviced by Waste Management – you can have these materials conveniently picked up at your home. To schedule a home collection:

For residents of Santa Ana, before you change your oil, contact Waste Management at (714) 558-7761 or (949) 642-1191 to request a free oil container and oil filter bag to be delivered to your home.

County Collection Centers

For cities not serviced by Waste Management’s At Your Door Special Collection service, these materials may be taken to a county collection center for safe disposal - all for free. For more information on county sites that accept these items, please call (714) 834-6752 or go to All Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers are open Tuesday - Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and closed on rainy days, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas and New Year's Days.

Anaheim Regional HHWCC
1071 N. Blue Gum Street
Anaheim, CA
(located between the 91 and 57 freeways on the corner of La Palma and Blue Gum)

Huntington Beach Regional HHWCC
17121 Nichols Street, Huntington Beach, CA
(located between Beach Blvd. and Gothard St. off Warner Ave. next to Rainbow Recycling and Disposal - use Gate 6)

Irvine Regional HHWCC
6411 Oak Canyon, Irvine, CA located off of Sand Canyon between the 5 and 405 freeways, use the same driveway as Bark Park)

San Juan Capistrano Regional HHWCC - Prima Deshecha Landfill 
32250 La Pata Avenue, San Juan Capistrano, CA
(from the 5 freeway, exit Ortega Highway, go east to La Pata and turn right; or Antonio Parkway south, cross Ortega Highway, continue on La Pata Road to the landfill entrance)

Do you have used motor oil or oil filters?

It is important to properly dispose of used motor oil to ensure it stays out of our storm drains and the ocean. Next time you change your oil, be sure to follow these steps:

  • Remove the oil filter from your car and drain it well - once it is drained, place it in a plastic bag.
  • Drain the oil from your car into a sealed, plastic container.
  • Secure the top on the container to ensure against spillage.
  • One the items are secure, residents have two disposal options:
    1. Call Waste Management’s At Your Door Special Collection program to check that we service your community. Residents can call 1-800-449-7587, email or go to You maybe able to receive a free home collection
    2. Transport them to a Certified Used Oil Collection Center - many automotive supply stores or service centers will accept used motor oil and filters. Call in advance to make sure they will take the items and to verify store hours.

Do you have electronics?

** Due to state environmental laws, Waste Management is unable to accept TVs, computer monitors or other "electronics" through our bulky item pick-up program, but there are other resources available.

Disposal options include taking these items to Waste Management's Sunset Environmental Transfer Station in Irvine or a county collection center. Residents may also contact Waste Management’s At Your Door Special Collection program at 1-800-449-7587  to check that we can service your community.  For more information on county sites that accept electronics, please call (714) 834-6752 or go to For other resources on reusing and recycling electronic products, visit or