Recycling Contamination Education Program
Customers who use their recycling cart as another trash receptacle hold our community back from reaching diversion goals by contaminating recyclables. Waste Management is stepping up education and monitoring efforts to help reach diversion goals. But customers who don’t clean up their act, could lose the right to participate in the program.
Here’s how it works….
When contamination is spotted in a cart, it is not serviced. The driver documents the contamination with a photo, which is attached to the account. The driver also tags the cart to immediately let the customer know why the cart was not serviced.
A follow-up letter is sent to the customer which includes a photo of the contamination for reference and a list of options available for disposing of non-recyclables. Education materials about what belongs in the recycling cart is also provided. If it’s not on the list, it can’t be recycled curbside. Click here for more information.
- The first two contamination incidents will result in notification letters.
- The third and fourth contamination incidents will result in a notification letter and a fine.
- On the fifth occurrence, the customer receives a letter informing them they have lost their option to participate in the program and the recycling cart is removed.
Click the image below to download a recycling guide.
Sparks Residents, if you want to confirm your trash and/or recycling collection day or sign up for text and email service alerts, register your account at www.WM.com.
Waste Management is pleased to provide garbage and recycling collection to the residents of Sparks, including:
- Single-Stream Recycling Cart
- 20 Excess Waste Stickers
- Four trips to the transfer stations in Reno or the Lockwood Landfill at no cost*
- Fall and spring excess waste curbside pickup (Postponed until mid-June due to the impact of COVID-19)
We are equally pleased to be the exclusive provider of commercial garbage collections for businesses in Sparks.
Think Green is not just a motto at Waste Management -- it’s our way of doing business.
* Four total trips per year. One standard pick-up truck per trip. Customers must be current with their bill and present a driver license that matches the service address on the account or their current bill for service.
Phone: (775) 329-8822
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri · 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
100 Vassar St.
Reno, NV 89502
Monday-Friday • 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.