Your Location
Edit Cancel

Universal and E-Waste

Did you know that it is illegal to dispose of old electronic equipment and universal waste with your regular trash? Electronic, or "e-waste," includes items such as old computers and their monitors, TVs, computers, microwave ovens and other electronic equipment. Universal waste includes products that have low levels of hazardous metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium and chromium. Universal waste must be disposed of at designated recycling centers or Household Hazardous Waste collection centers. They cannot be disposed of in the trash, and then subsequently deposited into landfills. 

Universal waste includes:

  • Common batteries - AA, AAA, C cells, D cells and button batteries
  • Fluorescent tubes and bulbs and other mercury - containing lamps - high intensity discharge (HID), metal halide, sodium and neon bulbs
  • Thermostats - old-style with the sealed glass "tilt switch" (newer electronic versions are not included)
  • Electronics - televisions, computers, monitors, printers, VCRs, cell phones, telephones, radios and microwave ovens
  • Electrical switches and relays - mercury switches found in some chest freezers, pre-1972 washing machines, sump pumps, electric space heaters, clothes irons, silent light switches, automobile hood and trunk lights, and ABS brakes
  • Pilot light sensors - mercury switches found in some gas appliances such as stoves, ovens, clothes dryers, water heaters, furnaces and space heaters
  • Mercury gauges - some barometers, manometers, blood pressure and vacuum gauges contain mercury
  • Novelties - musical greeting cards, mercury maze games, athletic shoes (made before 1997) with flashing lights
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Non-empty aerosol cans that contain hazardous materials

Disposing of E-Waste and Universal Waste

E-Waste Pickup
Residents can arrange to have their electronic waste collected as part of a bulky pickup. Residents may request up to four free bulky item pickups per year, three items per pickup. Residents should call (661) 259-2398 to schedule a bulky item pickup. 

LA County HHW Round-Ups
The County of Los Angeles now accepts e-waste and universal waste at their Household Hazardous Waste round-ups throughout the year. These roundups occur on almost a weekly basis on a rotating schedule. Residential e-waste can be brought to these roundups for proper disposal at no charge. 

For more information on dates and locations you can also call the LA County Sanitation District at (800) 238-0173, visit their website at; or call the LA County Department of Public Works at (888) CLEAN-LA or log on You may also contact the City's Environmental Services Division at (661) 286-4098 for more information on having Household Hazardous Waste picked up. 

E-Waste Disposal Locations
You may drop off e-waste such as televisions, microwaves and computers items to be recycled at the Palmdale Landfill's Antelope Valley Environmental Collection Center (AVECC). This new facility is now open on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month from 9 AM to 3 PM. This new permanent Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection center is located at the Antelope Valley Landfill in the City of Palmdale. 

AVECC at the Antelope Valley Landfill
(661) 223-3427
1200 West City Ranch Road
Palmdale, CA

You can also drop off your e-waste at the Bradley Landfill (for a small fee) or at the Randall Sheet SAFE Center or Blue Barrel Yard (for free), located in Sun Valley and Saugus. The waste is stored at these facilities until it is picked up by an outside vendor for further processing, recycling and distribution. 

Bradley Landfill
(818) 767-6180
9081 Tujunga Avenue
Sun Valley, CA 

Randall Street SAFE Center
(800) 98-TOXIC (800-988-6942)
11025 Randall Street
Sun Valley, CA 

Blue Barrel Yard
(661) 223-3427
25772 Springbrook Rd.
Santa Clarita, CA